Year 12 – Specialist Mathematics
Level: Stage 2
Subject Name: Specialist Mathematics, 2MSC20
Prerequisites: Stage 1 Specialist Mathematics
Assumed knowledge: Nil
Specialist Mathematics draws on and deepens students’ mathematical knowledge, skills, and understanding, and provides opportunities for students to develop their skills in using rigorous mathematical arguments and proofs, and using mathematical models. It includes the study of functions and calculus.
The subject leads to study in a range of tertiary courses such as mathematical sciences, engineering, computer science, and physical sciences. Students envisaging careers in related fields will benefit from studying this subject.
Specialist Mathematics is designed to be studied in conjunction with Mathematical Methods.
- Topic 1: Mathematical Induction
- Topic 2: Complex Numbers
- Topic 3: Functions and Sketching Graphs
- Topic 4: Vectors in Three Dimensions
- Topic 5: Integration Techniques and Applications
- Topic 6: Rates of Change and Differential Equations
- Six tests across the topics studied. - 50%
- One investigation - 20%
- External Examination - 30%