Year 10 – English
Level: Year 10
Assumed knowledge: Nil
Course Summary: English is a core subject of the Australian curriculum.
Unit 1: Language and Literacy
- English Rules Grammar Book
- Critical Literacy workbook
Unit 2: Film Study
- Various tasks introduce concepts/conventions of film
- Analysis of film techniques
- Written response to film as text
Unit 3: Shared Text - Class Novel
- Concepts of text construction identified and practised.
- Variety of text and non-text responses (written and oral)
- Formal Oral presentation
- Essay writing skills introduced and practised.
Unit 4: Independent Novel Study
- Varying tasks encourage interpretative thinking skills.
- Narrative perspective and characterisation identified.
- Essay writing skills practised
- Students will be given an overview of assessment tasks (and applicable weighting) at the start of each term.
- Varying tasks provide opportunity for both creative and analytical responses to texts, as well as non-text responses.
- In each unit students will plan, draft and polish written, multimedia and oral pieces.
- Reflective reading and comprehension skills will be developed.
- Oral and multimedia communication skills will be practised.
- Spelling and grammar skills will be practised.
- Students will be reminded of the College’s Policy on Plagiarism, and continue to practise appropriate referencing where required.