Year 11 Subjects – Psychology
Level: Stage 1
Subject Name: Psychology
Assumed knowledge: Nil
Psychology is a 10-credit subject. The course may be completed in either semester 1 or 2.
The topics in Stage 1 Psychology provide the framework for developing integrated programs of learning through which students extend their skills, knowledge, and understanding of the three strands of science.
The three strands of science to be integrated throughout student learning are:
- Science inquiry skills
- Science as a human endeavour
- Science understanding
The topics for Stage 1 Psychology studied in the course are:
- Neuropsychology - This topic includes the study of the physiology of the brain and how it processes sensory input, controls the body and influences our psychology.
- Emotion - The topic explains the biological, cognitive and socio-cultural basis for emotion. Mental health problems including, bi-polar disorder, depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder are studied as part of this topic.
- Psychological Wellbeing - This topic explores mental health problems and the use of psychological knowledge and techniques to achieve and maintain good mental health.
The following assessment types enable students to demonstrate their learning in Stage 1 Psychology:
- Assessment Type 1: Investigations Folio (50%)
- Assessment Type 2: Skills and Applications Tasks (50%)
- One psychological practical investigation
- One investigation with a focus on science as a human endeavour
- Two applications tasks consisting of topic tests