Year 12 – Physical Education
Level: Stage 2
Prerequisites: Stage 1 Physical Education (one semester minimum)
Assumed knowledge: Year 10 Sport Science and Stage 1 Physical Education (one semester minimum)
Physical Education is a 20-credit subject at Stage 2.
In Physical Education, students study human physical activity and its place in the lives of individuals and groups of people. Students examine the practical application of human physical skills and analyse the personal, community, and global issues that surround the role of human physical activity in society.
Students learn mainly through physical activity in a way that promotes immediate as well as long-term benefits to themselves and society. Physical Education is an experiential subject in which students explore their physical capacities and investigate the factors that influence performance. They explore and analyse associated performance, health, and lifestyle issues.
Students acquire an understanding of human functioning and physical activity and an awareness of the community structures and practices that influence participation in physical activity. They develop skills in communication and investigation and the ability to apply knowledge to practical situations. Students gain enjoyment from skilled performance in individual and group activities.
Exercise Physiology and Physical Activity
- Key Concept 1: The Sources of Energy Affecting Physical Performance
- Key Concept 2: The Effects of Training and Evaluation on Physical Performance
- Key Concept 3: The Specific Physiological Factors Affecting Performance
The Acquisition of Skills and the Biomechanics of Movement
- Key Concept 1: Skills Acquisition
- Key Concept 2: Specific Factors Affecting Skill Learning
- Key Concept 3: The Effects of Psychology of Learning on the Performance of Physical Skills
Theoretical Assessments (school based 20%):
- Issues Analysis
- Skill Acquisition and Learning Assignment
- Biomechanics Analysis
- Energy systems and Fitness Testing Assignment
- Learning and Skill Acquisition Assignment
- Topics 1 to 7 formative topic tests (not included as part of their SACE grade)
Practical Assessment Units (50%) can include:
- and others depending on students prior levels or abilities
*Sports that are chosen are based on the student’s skills and abilities covered in previous years to succeed for Stage 2 Physical Education*
External Assessment (30%):
- 2 hour end of year external examination