Middle School – Music
Music has the capacity to engage, inspire and enrich all students, exciting the imagination and encouraging students to reach their creative and expressive potential. Skills and techniques developed through participation in music learning allow students to manipulate, express and share sound as listeners, composers and performers. Music learning has a significant impact on the cognitive, affective, motor, social and personal competencies of students.
As independent learners, students integrate listening, performing and composing activities. These activities, developed sequentially throughout Middle School, enhance their capacity to perceive and understand music. As students’ progress through studying Music, they learn to value and appreciate the power of music to transform the heart, soul, mind and spirit of the individual. In this way, students develop an aesthetic appreciation and enjoyment of music. 2018 Australian Curriculum
- It is compulsory for students to study Music for a full year in Year 7.
- Students in Year 8 choose either a full year or semester course. The full year course is more advanced and students are required to have regular instrumental tuition (half hour/week preferred).
- Students in Year 9 choose full year music and are required to have regular instrumental tuition (half hour/week preferred)
- All students are encouraged to participate in an extra-curricular ensemble and performance opportunities throughout the year.
Students use a range of technologies to create and respond to music such as, recording equipment, live sound equipment, and the following software: Auralia, Musition, Noteflight, Soundtrap, and Studio One.
Students consolidate their knowledge and understanding of the elements of Music and its application in performance and composition through various learning tasks and assessment types. These include:
- Theory and aural testing
- Music technology skills
- Critical listening
- Solo and ensemble skill development
- Junior Concert Band
- Junior Chamber Ensemble
- Junior School Worship Band
- Junior School Choir
- Middle School Worship Band
- Middle School Choir
- Chamber Ensemble
- Stage Band
- Rock Band
- Drum Corps
- Guitar Ensemble
- Vocal Ensemble